Work up pretty early and decided to drive up to Mount Wellington which has fantastic views of Hobart and the surrounding area. After loading the car which led to having wedge Amaya in the passenger seat with her luggage on her lap.. we set of for Mount Wellington.
Now Amaya is not a fan of Shelley, she thinks it is noisy, uncomfortable and dangerous.. so I was on my best behaviour! It had stopped raining thankfully but the cloud was still around. As we climbed the road the visibility dropped as we hit the cloud line.. after short discussion we both agreed to turnaround and return to Salamanca place for breakfast - far more civilised.
It was sad to drop Amaya back at the airport but I was also looking forward to my final drive in Tasmania. Yet again I decided to keep of the main roads and this is where I missed 3 key opportunities.. a friend had recommended two Tasmanian wines.. first Pooley and second Domaine A. The B road I was travelling had both cellar doors but due to my poor timing I could not stop :-(
I decided to return to St Johns bar in Launceston to have one last Tasmanian craft beer.. and as I was coming into Launceston. I happened to look into a rest area on my left to see a long line of America classic cars!!! oh well now I have an excuse to come back to Tasmania..
Now Amaya is not a fan of Shelley, she thinks it is noisy, uncomfortable and dangerous.. so I was on my best behaviour! It had stopped raining thankfully but the cloud was still around. As we climbed the road the visibility dropped as we hit the cloud line.. after short discussion we both agreed to turnaround and return to Salamanca place for breakfast - far more civilised.
It was sad to drop Amaya back at the airport but I was also looking forward to my final drive in Tasmania. Yet again I decided to keep of the main roads and this is where I missed 3 key opportunities.. a friend had recommended two Tasmanian wines.. first Pooley and second Domaine A. The B road I was travelling had both cellar doors but due to my poor timing I could not stop :-(
I decided to return to St Johns bar in Launceston to have one last Tasmanian craft beer.. and as I was coming into Launceston. I happened to look into a rest area on my left to see a long line of America classic cars!!! oh well now I have an excuse to come back to Tasmania..
The other reason for returning to St Johns was to thank the guys in the bar who had given me so really good advice about driving around Tasmania which was do not drive at sunrise or sunset, stay of the A roads and be very careful of the mining trucks.
Arrived at Devonport and had a 3 hour wait for the 9pm sailing.. but I was at the front of the queue :-)
Back in Hobart, I had decided with the 1000kms to drive back in one day on the Monday thagt I would upgraded to a cabin to get a good nights sleep...
The cabin was actually really nice - two beds and bathroom and it reminded me of the last time I was in a cabin was on a ferry to Paros with Paul Dean in 1993.. There was a final intercom announcement at 10pm and then I slept solidly until 5am..

No comments:
Post a Comment