As I was saying a B&B, was offered a fine fry-up at Willow Lodge - Met two german cyclists at brekfast who had been cycling around Tasmania.. The Husband cycles 10,000 kms a year!!!! and he is 63.. that is 200kms a week!! He looked extremely well and very fit.
Took the car out of the garage (no need to put the roof) on! The next journey was to St Helens. Every leg of this journey I travel through a different landscape.. this leg was particularly memorable driving through a rainforest, as it was still early the roads were steaming as the condensation burnt off.
I had been previously been told to visit the Bay of Fires.. after a little googling - I decided to give Binalong Bay a go.. WOW! The bay was beautiful and I live in Manly so I am a fussy bastard.. The water was crystal and the sand like white sugar.. absolutely awesome. It was a shame I was there on my own it would have been great to share it.. one of the downsides to travelling alone.
Decided I needed to go for a dip to cool off and said that I have had a swim in Tasmania.. Bloody hell the water is cold.. Found out from a local that this is due to a strong current which keeps it cool...
Then a new type of road, long straights with lazy curves along the coast - the views were spectacular..
That reminds me everywhere I have stopped that has offered "wireless" has been crap.. the connection timeouts or is slower than a dial-up connection. I have ended up using my mobile as a wireless provider but telstra's coverage over here is not great either.
Arrived at Bicheno (for the first time) and decided to push on to Frecinet National Park and the famous Wine Glass Bay. Another 70kms and we arrived to find that to get to Wine Glass Bay you need to take a cruise or hike for 4 hours.. as it was 3pm in the afternoon and bloody hot I decided that I would tactically retreat and return to a beach I had seen on the way in called Richardsons Beach..
Well I did luck out or what, Richardsons beach was stunning... the visibility of the water and yes I did go for a swim (but the water was cold but not like Binalong Bay!).
Met a Tasmanian couple who were farmers taking a mid week break.. incredibly friendly people with lots of suggestions for Hobart.. I stayed here for a good couple of hours.. just watching the crystal water - a very peaceful place.. we all need times to reflect - it was a perfect place.
For most of this trip, I have been gunning it.. Shelley has been amazing.. she is a perfect car for Tasmania.. small enough to work through the tight corners but powerful enough to pull up the hills at a decent rate :-) But for my trip back to Bicheno, I just cruised.. it was great - even got overtaken by a couple of the locals..
It should be said that the locals do not hang about.. they love the Targa and most of them drive pretty swiftly.. to be honest a couple of times on this trip I have just sat behind a local as they know the roads so much better. They brake at the right time (i.e. not in the middle of the bend) and the move along at a fair clip - Respect.
Stayed at another motel, a large room with 4 beds.. so I decided to play musical beds throughout the night - because I could!
Went to the local Best Western and a fantastic seafood chowder and the obligatory beer..
Shelley Update: Still running well but worried about the new noise.. will record and send to Gus.




No comments:
Post a Comment